Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Our Skiing Adventure

A few weeks ago, Jason informed me that this year I finally need to learn how to ski. I went night skiing once with my family when I was 12 or so, but that's it. Jason's whole family skies extremely well, and I've always wanted to learn, but every winter I was either pregenant or nursing a baby. Of course, I was super excited, but extremely nervous as well. I mean, when it comes to music and dance I do just fine, but I'm not really that coordinated with sports. Well, I had gotten myself all psyched up to go last Saturday, so we dropped the kids of at Jason's parents' house and headed up to Alta for their rope tows and free lift (after 3:00, anyway.) There was only 1 problem. The Utah highway patrol decided to stop letting people up Little Cottonwood Canyon, since apperently everybody else wanted to go skiing that weekend as well. We were a little discouraged, but decided to head over to Big Cottonwood Canyon and pay a few bucks for a half-day pass at Solitude or Brighton. But when we got there, the highway patrol had closed that canyon, too. At this point, I felt a little like a kid when you're suppossed to be going swimming with your friends, only to have it rain that day. Jason could tell I was bummed, and he was especially cute about it. We ended up taking a drive for about an hour, and eventually, the canyons were opened again. We were able to make it up to Alta around 3:00, which worked great since that's when the lift is free, anyway. It was snowing really hard and I could barely see, but I can't remember the last time I had that much fun with my husband! He was very encouraging and supportive, and he didn't make fun of me when I fell and couldn't get up. Thankfully, I only fell a few times, and by the end of the day I could get up on my own. (Yay!:) I was pretty tired after a couple of hours, so we headed back to the truck, only to have it take us AN HOUR AND A HALF to get down the canyon with all the snow and how many people there were (it usually takes about 20 minutes). Ah, memories...:)

1 comment:

  1. I bet it was packed because of Sundance and they had some qualifying thing for tne olympics here too this last weekend. But still fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete